IRELAND’S ‘CANAL NAVIGATORS’

By Eugene Coyle After the Restoration, Dublin city’s rapidly expanding population was dependent on coal imports from English and Welsh collieries. English mine-owners, particularly at Whitehaven in Cumbria, controlled all Irish coal imports. The city’s demand for imported coal grew during the eighteenth century, increasing from 50,000 tons in 1700 to over 400,000 tons in ... Read more

Subscribe to History Ireland in print or digital here


View Subscription Options

Already a subscriber? Sign in